Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

An Explosion in My Kitchen

So it's not just a rumor... It's actually true. If you cork your water kefir and don't let the air out occasionally, it will explode. This is why it is best NOT to use screw caps unless you loosen the cap very regularly. 

I was doing dishes at the sink a couple days ago and heard a sudden loud "POP" behind me, like a gunshot or champaigne bottle being uncorked. I turned around to see one of my bottles of water kefir foaming over profusely. The pressure from the carbonation actually busted the cork cap in half as it shot it across the room. It hit the ceiling before landing on the floor.

It almost happened again today when I uncorked a bottle of water kefir that had been in its second fermentation for about 24 hours. It foamed over and made an absolute mess all over the counter and floor (of course, like a dork, I wasn't smart enough to unplug it over the sink)! 

I didn't quite make it in time to get a picture of the real action. Here is the after shot with the broken cork cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment