Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

Hannah's Phở Week!! Part 1 - Chili-Garlic Sauce

Well, I'm declaring it Phở week on my blog! Officially, International Phở Day doesn't happen until August 20th, but who wants to wait for the hottest month of the summer to enjoy their Phở? I say spring is the best time for a Phở craze.

I grew up in Asia, and have had many Asian friends, and Asian cuisine is some of my favorite. Alas, much of the foundation of good Asian cooking centers on rice and flour - for noodles, dumpling wrappers, etc. I've really missed cooking Asian style food since being on GAPS. But recently, I decided I needed to figure out how to satisfy my Asian comfort food cravings safely. For this week at least, Phở is my answer.

Don't know what Phở is? It is an Asian-food-loving GAPS dieter's best friend. Rich, flavorful, full-bodied bone broth with thinly sliced pieces of meat and fresh herb garnishings of cilantro, basil, mint, scallion, and lime; topped off with some Sriracha-style hot sauce (and Hoisin sauce, which I haven't figured out how to make for GAPS yet - I'll let you know if I come up with something). Traditional Phở has rice noodles in it. But the GAPS version can use a noodle alternative like zucchini noodles or enoki mushrooms to almost paralleled satisfaction.

To kick things off for my Phở craze week, below is a recipe for homemade lacto-fermented chili-garlic sauce. You'll need to get this going before you make your actual Phở, since it will take 5-7 days to ferment. Once it's ready, you'll be equipped to handle many, many bowls of Phở (and plus it goes great with steak, grilled chicken, braised greens, eggs, and just about anything else too!).



Lacto-Fermented Asian Chili-Garlic Sauce

3/4 lb. Fresh Korean red chilis
1 Large head garlic
1/4 c. Filtered water
1 T. Fish sauce (This kind has no additives and is GAPS-legal)
1 T. Raw honey
1 T. Raw apple cider vinegar
1-2 t. Salt

Clean and cut tops off chilis. Clean off skins and cut bottoms off all garlic cloves. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender (I use my Vitamix). Puree into a sauce. Pour into a 0.5-0.75L Fido jar (lever-locking preserve jar) or other lacto-fermentation vessel. Ferment for 5-7 days, then refrigerate.

Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3 of my Phở week on Wednesday and Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment