Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Kombucha Upgraded Again

I finally released my kombucha scoby into a 2-gallon size jar (I know, I talk about it like it's a beloved pet dog or something). I found this Anchor Hocking 2-gal. jar at Target for $13.79 - what a deal! Finally, room to grow!

I was so skeptical about kombucha when I started it six months ago. I really thought I would prefer water kefir. But, my water kefir died long ago of poor usage and neglect in my fridge, and my kombucha scoby is still going strong! One gallon wasn't enough to last us a week, so I added another half-gallon jar. Then one and a half gallons wasn't enough, so I finally got this two gallon jar. 

My scoby was about 2-3 cm thick before I split it up and gave a couple away recently. Now I'm starting fresh. I still do a rooibos/black tea mix and haven't discovered any reason why I should change this delightful combo. I drink it plain, I add it to juice or home-made banana "ice cream." I use it as starter for home-made sodas and ketchup. It has become the foundational culture in my kitchen.

For info on how to start your own kombucha culture, see Food Renegade's, "How to Brew Kombucha," "Kombucha, the Balancing Act", and "Bottling Kombucha Tea at Home." I bought my original kombucha scoby online from this seller on Etsy, and found her to be very reliable and the scoby to be very healthy. Just don't order during the hot summer months!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your post on goggle. I was reading your post about ulcerative colitis. I had severe colitis at 17, at 23 a complete colectomy, now 35 suffered from severe pouchitis until I discovered kefir. Now I'm hooked on kombucha. I drink Lifeway organic kefir and GT's synergy kombucha. I noticed garden of life came out with raw kombucha in pill form. Any thoughts? I appreciate your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you have had such a difficult time with your UC and pouchitis. But, I'm glad you found something that helps. There is one FDA-approved high-strength probiotic out there (that I know of) that is approved specifically for UC & pouchitis: VSL#3. It is pricey, but there is an organization that helps people who can't afford it on their own. My husband actually received it for free this way for a number of months when we were struggling financially. It's called NORD, and the webpage for their assistance program is here: http://www.rarediseases.org/patients-and-families/patient-assistance.

      Also, I do really recommend making your own cultures at home, as you don't know exactly what you are getting in the store, and many of the store-bought kefirs do not have as broad a spectrum of bacteria/yeasts as home-made. Additionally, many of the store-bought cultured drinks have added sugar, which is really bad for people with gut problems. I would recommend home-brewed kombucha as that is least labor-intensive. Also, I would recommend learning how to make lacto-fermented vegetables at home.

      Please remember that I am not a doctor. Remember to talk to your doctor before starting any new treatments.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete