Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Projects Ginger Bug & Root Beer: Success!

In my previous post, I discussed how my first ginger bug try had failed and so I was trying a new recipe. Well, it worked! I made a batch using the ginger bug starter, as well as a batch using kombucha as the starter, to test them side-by-side. And... I couldn't really tell the difference. As far as I see it, the main advantage of the ginger bug is that it makes a super-concentrated gingery flavor, which is great if you like your ginger beer nice and spicy.  But as a starter culture for soda, I am somewhat ambivalent about the bug. Sometimes it performs well and creates a nice fizz. Other times, it turns out completely flat. It's been very unpredictable for me. I've found that kombucha used as a starter performs much more consistently, making a great fizz every time. My conclusion: It is worth keeping a bug around to create the flavor, but I wouldn't rely completely on my bug for starter, but would add a little K-tea as well if you want any fizz.


Homemade Root Beer
I also mentioned in my last post that I was hoping to try homemade root beer soon. Well, here it is (pictured left)! I used K-tea for the starter so far, and I'm still figuring out just how little starter is needed to get this soda fizzy without exploding when I open it. So far, I can't seem to get the proportions quite right, and I have to open this one in the sink very carefully or else I will be cleaning root beer off my refrigerator at the opposite end of the kitchen 10 feet away! Or the ceiling... Both of which we did this past week... I'm not sure what it is about this brew, but the K-tea absolutely loves it, and goes wild. A note about the flavor: if you are expecting it to taste like what you buy in the store, you will be disappointed. This has a much more complex, robust, and earthy flavor than that wintergreen-cornsyrup stuff. It took a little getting used to at first, but I really like it!  I based my recipe on the one from Nourished Kitchen, but I decreased the licorice root to half, and skipped the sassafras. My husband doesn't like the anise after-taste of the licorice, and sassafras was not readily available when I bought my herbs. The rest of the herbs I bought either at Mountain Rose Herbs or Amazon.comMy conclusion: Homemade root beer made using k-tea as a starter works great, but less than 1/4 c. of k-tea should be used per 17oz. bottle, or it will over-carbonate.

No comments:

Post a Comment